A tabla is a pair of twin hand drums from the Indian subcontinent. Since the 18th century, tabla has been the principal percussion instrument in Hindustani classical music, where it may be played solo, as an accompaniment with other instruments and vocals, and as a part of larger ensembles.
Tabla Instrumental Beginner’s Level Course
- Introduction to tabla.
- Understanding tonality of bols (syllabus).
- Finger placement and postures.
- Finger coordination of both hands.
- One kayda (for the structural following of finger movement).
- Introduction to Rhythm and tentacle.
- Understanding of taal, maatra, khaali, bhari, sum
(4/4 beat cycle Teentaal).
- One kayda with tehaai ( four improvisations and one tehaai ).
- Two kayda with tehaai ( five improvisations one tehaai).
- Expansion of bols.
- Tempo practice playing one kayda learned in a higher tempo.